Monday, August 25, 2008

Another Rough Day...and a Little History

I had a follow-up appointment with my OB/GYN today. As I was getting ready to write about the appointment, I realized that there's a lot of back-story missing in these blogs. So, I'm going to try to catch you up in a paragraph or two.

About a year ago Pat and I decided we were ready to welcome a baby into our family. I finished my last pack of birth control pills and expected to be pregnant in a matter of months. Instead, I ended up with ridulously long cycles (we're talking over 100 days as opposed to the textbook standard of 28 days). I went to several doctors before I was finally diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). Basically, I don't ovulate on my own, possibly because of underlying Insulin Resistance. The doctor who diagnosed me put me on an insulin sensitizing medication and a drug called Clomid that is supposed to help my body ovulate. I tried the combination for 3 months with no luck. That brings me to my follow-up appointment today.

Today I found out that I'm a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis. This means that we have to stop all efforts to get pregnant until Pat can be screened for the gene mutation. If he is also a carrier, then we have a 1/4 chance of having a baby with Cystic Fibrosis if we conceive naturally. We would have to decide if that was a risk we are willing to take or we could consider IVF where they screen the embryos before they transfer them back into me. I never expected to have to be making these decisions. Shouldn't this process be easier than this?

On a lighter note, tomorrow is our 3 year wedding anniversary, and for the first time Pat and I will be on the same continent! That's right...continent. He was in Iraq for our first anniversary and South Korea for our second anniversary. We're looking forward to enjoying a nice, romantic dinner together.

No comments: